A caring past
On the outbreak of war in 1914 the Headquarters Council of the Ulster Volunteers Force offered its complete medical organisation to the War Office in the form of a fully equipped hospital for the treatment of sick and wounded soldiers. The offer was gratefully accepted and at the beginning of 1915 this establishment was formally opened by Lord and Lady Carson.
The original charity hospital and the other and smaller branch hospitals were originally financed by an appeal to the public but it was largely owing to the untiring efforts of the late Sir Robert M Liddell and the late Sir Dawson Bates, Bart, that the response was so great and to their guidance in later years that the existence of the present establishment is now due.
The hospital continued to give specialized care to ex-service patients until its eventual closure in the late 1980s soon after which the Somme Hospital opened its doors. In 1995 the name was changed to the Somme Nursing Home and a major building and renovation programme took place in 1998 and 2011 to create the home as it is today.
A caring future
We are very proud of the history and traditions embedded in the Somme Nursing Home and the continuum of top quality care provided here. This is why our charity needs your help...